Monday, September 1, 2014


I still get an nice rush from catching a 17 7/8 inch Striper on a plug. It's a good thing, because  legal sized fish have been tough  to find for all of August. I have still managed to have a great time. A night out at the shoal meant non stop action with the sub legals. It was great to introduce an old friend, Bob Murphy, and his boys to the wonders of plug fishing. They had driven out from NW Washington once before, but the boat was in the shop and we were skunked. So it was a great feeling to see his little guy, George, boat 7 beauties which somehow took top prize for the most fish. He tells his dad he will be back in October when the "big ones are running".

On Friday night I finally picked up a real nice 26 that hopefully marks the beginning of fall fishing. So tonight, I was real excited to get out there. I waited until the sun was setting and anchored up a little to the left of my buddy Dave. It was a perfect night after a very hot and humid day. The bay was flat with a strong incoming tide. As I was leaving the dock, a DNR boat had passed me entering the creek. Since it was past 7 and the creek was completely void of boat traffic, I thought it a bit odd. Fast forward a half hour and Dave yells over that we are about to be checked by the DNR guys from earlier. REALLY, one of the nicest nights of the year and these guys are going to do Safety Checks on three boats anchored in 2 feet of water just as the bite was kicking in. It is my belief that the bigger fish are drawn to the sound of Papa Dogg's melodious "click click" sound. So lets just say I was not a happy camper. I watched as Dave was harrassed for a good 5 minutes, and prepared what  I knew they would ask for. I was running my Go Pro the whole time, which my readers may find interesting. It is really sad how the DNR has morphed into a quasi police force who spend very little time actually protecting the bay and its precious resources. A dad fishing with his boy or a Man with his dog at sunset on Labor day is what this country is all about. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. It is sad that we must give up those rights the second  we push away from the dock.
A future #1 collegiate fisherman.

First good fish in a month


Unknown said...

Wish I knew what you know. New to this fishing deal and spent 3 trips to the shoal for 2 small blues and a Ray. I guess nobody is champion the first day.

Rick Weaver said...

The fact that you caught a ray tells me you are using the wrong lure. You cannot catch these fish with live bait. Not on the shoal. I fish low light conditions if possible. For me it is the last 2 hours of light. You need to use a light plastic that will work at most a foot under the surface or my favorite a Papa Dogg plug that walks and spits. Boat position is key. You need to anchor uptide of structure. There used to be a road that ran from the point to the lighthouse. Get out there on a flat night and you can see the rip that runs where the road once was. Find the shallowest spots along the rip line and anchor so that as you cast off the back of boat your plug is landing close to the rip. The stripers sit against those rocks and look up for bait to attack. Make about a billion casts and I guarantee a fish will be had. Don't give up on topwater. The payoff is huge. This is the time of year where it is actually quite easy. All other types of fishing is cheating...

Unknown said...

Thanks for the info. I will give it a shot. I'm determined to learn how to be successful (at least a little) at this and a little info goes a long way when you know as little as I do. Maybe I'll see you out there one evening. We're on a 19' Stingray out of Hillsmere Shores call "The Miscellaneous"

Blog Archive